Thursday, March 1, 2007

Nowitzki dream

I dreamt I was on the Cavs, and we were off to a sizeable first quarter lead against the Mavs. Despite our advantage, we were freaked out and pretty much expecting to get rolled over at any second.

Suddenly I looked over, and a bald Dirk Nowitzki was on a fast break. He missed a dunk, but as I watched him I had the distinct sensation that it would be a bad idea to guard him, because he was so aggressive and big that I could get physically hurt. It was as though he were an allosaurus out there on the court. Sure, I'd played against Dwyane Wade and Kevin Garnett and they were talented, but they wouldn't injure me.

This may have been a premonition. I'm very worried about tonight. At the same time, the Cavs have a tendency to rise to good competition, as evidenced in last year's playoffs as well as this year's superb record against the West. That is the only reason I'm going to watch the game at all, but if it starts to get ugly like game #1 against the Suns, I will hide under the covers.

1 comment:

datageneral said...

I would feel much better right now if it hadn't been close.

Sad to say, but this was Lebron in a nutshell - money all game, broke when it counted.

The Cavs were outplayed for three quarters, but didn't lose heart against a superior opponent. Even down 12 or 13, they clearly felt they could get back in. The last quarter was perfectly scripted. In a certain sense, you have to chalk up the failures in the final moments to random chance... but in another sense, Lebron should really *want* to shoot in the final seconds, and instead he seems nervous.

Just imagine if he'd made *one* of those last two free throws. He could have slashed, his forte, rather than launching a three, his bane.