Saturday, April 28, 2007

brady quinn, medicine woman

well, akronites, i almost posted a HUGE congratulations for the browns taking GONE FISHIN' joe thomas instead of brady quinn at number 3. but, wow!! getting him at 22. very interesting! does that mean they can pay him a small enough contract to not be completely stuck with him if he doesn't pan out?? they should load that conract with incentives instead of guaranteed money.

also, i will be scouting YOUR TRIBE in oakland on may 17th.

and, well, imagine the beauty of both miami and dallas getting tossed in the first round. i have so much to say about the warriors that if i actually start i will probably lose coherence very quickly. BUT, check out baron davis wearing a hat that has bullets in it: http://www.thebasketballjones.net/2007/04/27/baron-davis-kick-ass-bullet-fedora/


AND,

mavs = nba champions 2008?

think about this pattern in the NBA:

pistons '05 -- bitter loss in the finals
pistons '06 -- avenging finals loss by taking it all out on the regular season, then a completely disappointing playoffs
pistons '07 -- (we can all see the future -- obviously, pistons WIN!)

mavs '06 -- bitter loss in the finals
mavs '07 -- avenging finals loss by taking it all out on the regular season, then (if the W's can just fiercely clamp down tomorrow in game 4), a completely disappointing playoffs
mavs '08 -- sure, whatever

this is also based on THE COLTS and THE CARDINALS,
who each amassed a league-dominant record that led to a failed playoff, and followed up with an ordinary regular season that culminated in an actual championship.

2 comments:

ted said...

I had mentioned a couple times on this blog, and many times elsewhere, that I would be furious if the Browns took Quinn. I was really pleased with the Joe Thomas pick. I had been leaning towards Peterson, since Jamal Lewis is going to be terrible, but with our history of injury problems Thomas is the safe pick.

Now Quinn at 22? I dunno. I mean, I guess this guy was considered to have top 10 potential, so getting him at 22 seems like a coup. Also I guess Frye's injury at the end of last season was worse than I thought. I still feel like Quinn could be stepping into a Tim Couch/David Carr-type situation though. But, yes, I'm guessing that has draft position means that if he busts it won't be as much of sunk cost. And if he pans it I suppose it will be seen as a real steal.

There is another cost if he's a bust however; probably a top-5 pick next year. Actually that might be the case even if Quinn is good. It will be interesting to see how this deal plays out over the next couple seasons. I'm still no Quinn fan, but I'm not upset by this move. And we got probably the best piece for the team in Joe Thomas. Plus some defensive depth with the later round picks, with luck one of the new backs will work out.

Really I think our only goal for the season should be keeping the total of torn ACLs under five. And hopefully nobody will tear both of them simultaneously again.

nappy-headed hoe said...

Baby Jordan, you took the words right out of my mouth. I didn't want Quinn at all, but as a late-round pick, he's totally intriguing. It certainly will be interesting to see this thing shakes out. I have to believe that Brady Quinn is stepping into a better situation (management, coaches, playmakers) then both Couch and Carr. I also hope that Crennel puts the position up-for-grabs because Frye deserves an opportunity to start. Now if only Ryan Tucker can get over his "emotional distress", we might have a respectable O-Line.