Friday, April 20, 2007

NE Ohio Reacts

Wow, it's been a big week for our teams. The Browns are preparing to draft third overall next Saturday. The Cavs are in prime position as the playoffs begin. And the Indians fuck up a quality start to the '07 season. I suppose I should touch on all three topics. And yes, as my entry's title indicates, I'm speaking for all NE Ohio sports fans. At least the smart ones.

I wish it weren't true, but I feel like next Saturday will mark the start of the Brady Quinn era in Cleveland. The mere thought of Quinn in a Browns uniform makes me queasy. And it's not that I think he'll be a bum in the NFL. With the right pieces around him, he could probably start right away and be somewhat successful. The Browns hold none of the pieces needed to accommodate a rookie quarterback. Phil Savage, please don't waste our pick. I'm begging. Please take Thomas or Peterson or Adams or Branch or Johnson. Anyone but Quinn.

Can anyone recall a bigger choke job then what the Bulls pulled off Wednesday night? After the Cavs won, I routinely checked ESPN for the Bulls/Nets score and each time my jaw dropped a bit lower. The Bulls aren't actually going to lay a giant egg in New Jersey and hand the Cavs the two-seed are they? Sure enough they did. Now of course the game will be rendered meaningless if Chicago performs well in the playoffs, but if they're ousted by the Heat that game will haunt every conversation about the 'o7 Bulls for twenty years. Meanwhile, the Cavs get to open against the Wizards. Do they even have enough guys to field a team? I hope Eddie Jordan becomes a player/coach to add some depth. Cleveland wins in five games.

I don't know where to start with the Indians and their series against the Yankees. I haven't been that embarrassed to be a Tribe supporter since the close of the '05 season (six loses to TB and the ChiSox to ruin a 93-win season). I know the Yanks for a sick line-up, but come on! 25 runs!?! Memo to Jake Westbrook: the 2007 baseball season started April 1st. These games count. You might want to try. Is it too late for the team to get its 33 million dollars back from him? I don't know what's worse: that three Yankees got their first ML wins versus us or that we allowed A-Rod to continually club homers. And on the subject of A-Rod: What's up with that victory celebration around the bases? It's April asshole and you don't play for the Bronx little league team. Show some fucking class. Round the bases with your head down. Act like a veteran with some respect for your opponent. I hope Sabathia pegs him in the back next time they play. And no, I'm not bitter. I just can't stand the fucking Yankees.

Responses please.

3 comments:

datageneral said...

We have about two weeks, maybe three, before the Cavs play in any games worth commenting on. The likely outcome of the first two series is that they win without a major challenge, but inexplicably fail to put away their inferior, damaged opponents with the bloodlust required of a championship-caliber team. Mark it down: Cavs over Wizards in 6, Cavs over Raps in 6 or even 7.

Meanwhile, the Bulls are a better team than the Heat. Partially, but not only, because the wheels are falling off of the latter's walkers. They're better than their record on paper, but Wade can't dominate against Hinrich, and the rest of the team is just old and battered. The Bulls may be awkward and inconsistent, but at least they're healthy. Bulls in 5 or 6.

No comment on the Tribe, yet. It was a horrendous series but it's too early to get down on them, and anyway they won all three of their other series. The thing that makes me angriest is that they allowed the Yankees to move above .500. The thing that makes me second angriest is that Casey Blake gets paid to play baseball.

ted said...

I believe I stated awhile ago (I think in an email) that if the Browns draft Brady Quinn that I won't watch them for 10 years. (The opposite of Greg Em's deal when they drafted Frye)

This is only partially because I still have faith in my former classmate to lead the Browns to victory. Or at least be a valid placeholder to build a team around. Plus I spent $80 on that jersey...

Anyhow, mark it down, Brady Quinn will be a goddamn bust. I can't believe it actually looks like we might draft him. Especially since we could take A. Petersen. We haven't had a real feature back since we came back to the league, and we're passing up Adrian? Bullshit.

Anyhow, remember how I didn't use to despise Cleveland sports? I'm not sure being a sports fan these days gives me any pleasure. Actually, it's probably the same as ever, other than the first 8 innings of Game 7 '97 WS. But we know how that ended.

As for A-Rod, see my response to Greg's post.

ted said...

I should specify that Quinn will be a bust on the Browns, since as you mentioned they do not have the pieces around him that a would afford a rookie QB any kind of success. It would just be Tim Couch all over again.

I think he's going to be a bust anyhow, because he went to Notre Dame and seems like a big baby, but I wouldn't guarantee it unless he goes to the Browns.

I'm also not going to make a silly pledge to refuse to watch Browns games. I just don't know how I'd be able to get into it while being so sad.