Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Cavs/Blazers tonight

Last night's game was really uncool and stuff, but you'd have to expect the Cavs to bounce back tonight, and powerfully so. As I've said, I feel that the NBA is all about "revenge" games where a certain team has something to prove, and that one can really hang one's hat on such truths. Z and Co. have little to prove against Portland, but they certainly need to save face after last night's embarrassment. I predict another big game from the Soviet brobdingnagian, and 30-35 from Lebron, who tends not to have trouble with Portland's D.

If the Blazers get cute and run a zone, I don't even know. I'm not sure they can with Jarret Jack out. This is truly a game where not being complacent should be more than enough to win by a lot. I won't accept the fatigue excuse in the second game of a back-to-back. You lost to SEATTLE last night, that means you didn't try.

I want to say also that I'm really liking this blog.

5 comments:

datageneral said...

5:45 left in the first quarter. Blazers 7, Cavs 2. Cavs have zero field goals, both points off free throws.

That's the best team in the East strutting its stuff.

datageneral said...

I have a stomachache.

ted said...

Ben, you may have been right about your revenge game theory, but you overlooked the Blazers' thirst to avenge the fact that Darius Miles is on their roster. (Remember when he was in that movie about taking the SATs?)

I don't know what to say about this performance. I was afraid that the roadtrip + hard-fought wins + losses would catch up with them, but 9 points in the first quarter!? NINE!? Portland gives up nearly 97 on average, we scored 76. These days...

Plus Larry Hughes put forth the most deceptive 17 points ever. I mean, it's respectable to get to the line 14 times, but he was 3-12 from the field! That is not helping things.

I do not see an immediate stop to this skid, at least until we return to the beloved "Q." I knew this would happen, as soon as I start to gain any confidence in a Cleveland team they shoot me in the face.

datageneral said...

Hughes looked so ugly. It was clear that the Cavs, collectively, had no legs. Gibson was the one bright spot; unfortunately, the only reason he got so many minutes was that he was the only fresh and competent player on the bench. And, y'know, he's not quite ready to carry a whole game.

I'm worried about the Cavs in the second half of the season, because the bench isn't at all deep and at some point the starters will need a little bit of a rest. A couple of big wins, where Lebron, Gooden, Hughes, and Z can sit for 10 minutes in the fourth quarter would be really wonderful. But they just don't play that way.

ted said...

I was actually going to mention D-Gib's play as the silver lining, but I wasn't in a silver lining kind of mood. You're right though, to succeed at a higher level (ie, playoffs) we need to be just dismantling lesser teams. We're just not there. I don't know how to get there.